Thursday, August 27, 2009

Is Greed Good

Is greed good? I think the correct answer is “to a certain extent.” Greed has some good attributes about it. It pushes a person to strive for more. Greed does not allow a person to “settle for.” Greed is the reasons some of the greatest accomplishments in the world have happened. For example, the beloved city I was born and raised in was constructed out of greed. Las Vegas. NV a.k.a. Sin City was a town constructed by the mafia. It was Italian and Jewish greed for gambling profits that led them to the state of Nevada. Now, about 100 years later, Las Vegas is considered one of the greatest cities on earth. In this case greed was good. Always wanting more can also be bad though. If someone is constantly taking more than they need it can tend to affect others. For example, Bernie Madoff is the epitome of a person who was too greedy. He stole 150 billion dollars from customers, and co-workers at his company. This affected many different people around him. Some of those people affected by Madoffs stealing went broke, lost their homes, and lost their families. This type of greed is unacceptable. This is a case where greed was horribly bad. With cases like the previous two mentioned I feel that greed is good only to a certain extent.
If I could create a “wack-me” doll in any persons image it would have to be a police officer. I am not a big fan of the police. I do understand that they are suppose to “serve and protect,” but a lot of the time they are engaged in discriminatory and illegal activities. My doll would not be based on one particular officer, but just a random cop that I could beat up when I feel upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment